Kelvin Young will have a new face in his corner the next time he enters the ring after joining forces with Gloucester trainer Jon Pitman.
The former IBO Intercontinental super middleweight champion is hoping the tie up with Pitman will help him get back in the domestic title mix and beyond.
Young, who was previously trained by Joe Wrona, will have his first training session with Pitman on Monday and aims to travel to his Gloucester gym three or four times a week.
The 28-year-old admitted he has lost the buzz for boxing in recent times but believes the link up with Pitman will get him back to his best again.
“To be honest in the last two months I haven’t had the commitment I have had before,” Young told Your Sport Swindon.
“Leaving Rich (Farnan) was a big decision and I was gutted to leave him because we gelled really well. Then training with Joe Wrona I often found myself training on my own because of Joe’s work commitments.
“I want to get back to winning titles and in order to do that I felt I needed a full-time coach.
“Jon’s gym down in Gloucester is a great gym and he has a growing stable of talented boxers.
“I can get some great sparring down there with the likes of Adam Harper and Scott Gibbens Junior plus they do a lot with Andy O’Kane and Nathan Cleverley too.
“We start Monday and I am looking forward to it.
“I don’t know exactly what it will be like to work with Jon but speaking to the likes of Andy Harris and Riiddy (Akeem Ennis-Brown) they seem to really enjoy their training.”
Young’s return to the ring however may not be until November/December time with the former Penhill amateur telling Your Sport Swindon he is targeting some big fights ahead.
His last fight was a first round knockout success against Joe Walsh in Gloucester but the Keith Mayo-managed boxer says he will not rush back to the ring needlessly.
“I’ve been ticking over but I’ve not been training properly for two and a half months really,” added Young.
“Obviously I had to pull out of the June show in Swindon with a foot injury.
“I didn’t like doing that and it’s the first time I have pulled out of a Keith Mayo show but I had to think of my career.
“When I lost to Sam Couzens I wasn’t 100 per cent and I should have pulled out of that fight, so as hard as it was I had to do what was best for me.
“I’m mandatory for the English title and if I had taken that fight when I wasn’t 100 per cent and lost then I could have jeopardised that fight.
“So I’m not going to rush back. I’ve said to Keith (Mayo) to get my name out there for the big fights and by November I will definitely be ready to fight.
“At the end of the day I need to start training with Jon and we need to take time to gel together.
“I’ve told Jon that I’ll likely be going down to Gloucester three or four times a week to train with him.
“I’ll then be doing other bits in Swindon with Joe Wrona and Manjit (Singh Dol).
“Joe (Wrona) will still be in my corner on fight night with Jon and he totally understands.
“At the end of the day, Joe has work commitments which make it difficult for him to train me full-time.
“Joe and Jon have worked together before and they get on well, so it should be a really good set up.”