Swindon Supermarine win FA Cup thriller

Share this

Warning: Undefined variable $gallery in /home/customer/www/yoursportswindon.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/hello-elementor-child/functions.php on line 56

Swindon Supermarine booked their place in the next round of the FA Cup after winning a six-goal thriller 4-2 against Sholing.

Dave Webb’s men got off to the worst possible start when Dan Mason gave Sholing the lead on just eight minutes.

But goals from Chris Taylor, Jacob Davidge and Ashley Edenborough turned the tie on its head as Supermarine took control with a 3-1 lead.

Supermarine then failed to kill the tie off despite a host of good chances and, with just 15 minutes remaining, Sholing pulled a goal back to set up a tense finish.

The hosts however, failed to level and eventually fell further behind when Davidge broke free with seconds remaining to wrap up the victory for Supermarine.

On just five minutes Bradley Gray’s fine run and cross found Ryan Stanners but his shot was cleared off the line.

Sholing then took the lead on eight minutes, slightly against the run of play when Dan Mason held off Joe Shepherd to fire past Matt Bulman and into the bottom corner.
Luke Hopper was then denied by Sholing keeper Ryan Gosney on 10 minutes when his 25-yard shot was parried past the post.
Supermarine pulled level on 23 minutes after Stanners was chopped down on the edge of the area and Taylor slotted the free-kick into the Sholing net.
Sholing almost regained the lead on 29 minutes when Mason latched onto a long ball only to fire wide.
A minute later Supermarine took the lead with Davidge firing home after being sent through on goal by a superb Stanners’ through ball.
And Supermarine could have been further in front when Hopper went down in the box only for the referee to dismiss the visitors’ penalty appeals.
Shortly after the break, Davidge struck the post while Gray headed just wide of the post.
Gray was then denied by Gosney as his shot was tipped over the bar before both Hopper and Davidge fired wide from good opportunities.
Hopper was then replaced by new signing Ash Edenborough, returning to the club for a third spell, and he wasted no time in getting off the mark, bursting through to score Supermarine’s third on 64 minutes.
With just 15 minutes Sholing pulled a goal back to give them a lifeline back into the tie – Mason grabbing his second goal after some sloppy Supermarine defending allowed him the luxury of a tap in at the back post.
Edenborough then squandered a fine chance to settle the tie when he fired just wide of Gosney’s goal.
As the hosts pushed for an equaliser, Supermarine soaked up the pressure and eventually broke free with Davidge latching onto a through ball and lobbing Gosney with just seconds remaining.