HELLENIC LEAGUE: Shrivenham return with a win as Fairford hit the summit

Share this

Shrivenham returned to league action with a 2-0 home victory over Shortwood Reserves, writes Josh Bird.

A second half brace from Rob Lincoln was enough to secure the three points, and boss Michael McNally was pleased with the performance.

“We played very well today,” McNally said.

“It was 0-0 at half time but we were probably the better side in the first half and just weren’t clinical enough.

“In the second half, fair play to the lads, we went through a few things at half time and it paid off.

“Rob Lincoln scored two great goals and Shortwood hustled and bustled near the end of the game but they didn’t really cause us much problem.”

McNally also praised several of his players individual performances as his side moved up to fourth in the table.

“I thought Rob Lincoln was outstanding with his brace,” he said.

“Our back four were also outstanding again, we’ve had six or seven clean sheets this year and to have done that at this stage of the season is brilliant.

“Steve Pleass and Paul Carson were rock solid for us.”

And after playing four cup matches in just over a month, McNally is looking forward to a run of league fixtures to try and push his side up the table.

“It’s good to be in the cup but if you’re not careful teams around you keep winning and you get left behind,” he said.

“You can have games in hand but everyone will tell you that you’d rather have points on the board.

“We’ve got Purton at home next Saturday so that will be a bit of a local derby and hopefully we can get another three points.”

Fairford Town hit top spot in Hellenic Division One West after a narrow 2-1 success over third placed Cirencester Town Development.

After a goalless first half, Cirencester took the lead as Danny Gudger fired home from 25 yards on 55 minutes.

But Fairford proved their promotion credentials as they bounced back to grab three points as a Lee Smith brace, including a winner five minutes from time, turned the game on it’s head and earned the home side all three points at Cinder Lane.

Meanwhile, New College were held to a 0-0 draw at rock-bottom Tytherington Rocks as the home side picked up only their second point of the season.

In the Premier Division, Highworth Town surrendered a two-goal half time lead as they were defeated by table toppers Thatcham Town.

Ashley Edenborough opened the scoring after five minutes for the visitors before adding a second after 12 minutes.

The hosts’ fightback began on 64 minutes when Josh Helmore bagged his fifth goal of the season.

James Tennant then equalised with five minutes remaining before Helmore netted the winner less than a minute later to complete the dramatic turnaround.

Royal Wootton Bassett slumped to a 6-0 home defeat to Bracknell Town as they slipped to sixth in the table.

TJ Bohane gave the visitors the lead with a fine free kick on the stroke of half time.

But things went from bad to worse for Bassett after the interval as Jamie McClurg and Adam Cornell both fired home from close range.

Bohane then grabbed his second and Bracknell’s fourth before a George Short header and Carl Davies penalty rounded off an afternoon to forget for the home side.