HELLENIC LEAGUE: Fairford Rock solid at Tytherington

Share this

Fairford Town maintained their fine early season form in the Hellenic Division One West, seeing off bottom of the table Tytherington Rocks 3-1, writes Josh Bird.

After being held 1-1 in the first half, goals from Jason Milhench and Jack Ellis secured the three points for the away side, and despite recording a sixth win from seven league matches boss Gareth Davies is taking it one game at a time.

“It wasn’t a pretty performance to be honest,” Davies said.

“They forced the issue in the first half but we went 1-0 in front but we made a mistake to let them back into the game.

“They played 4-5-1 at home so for us it was a case of just being patient and just trying to break them down.

“You’re obviously sending out a message by playing 4-5-1 at home, clearly they were just trying not to concede.

“I think the second half we came out much better and we took the game to them, it could’ve been a couple more.

“It’s just about the three points and I know it’s a cliche but you’ve got to take each game as it comes.

“It’s not about winning pretty it is just about getting three points on the board and winning games.”

Jason Milhench scored with a fine strike on 25 minutes to put Fairford into the lead but the lead lasted only 10 minutes as Tytherington Rocks squared the match.

A Milhench shot then took a severe deflection and nestled in the home side’s net to give Fairford the lead once again before Jack Ellis converted a penalty won by Milhench to secure the three points and Davies is now looking forward to a midweek local derby as they host Highworth Town in the Hellenic Challenge Cup.

“That’s going to be an interesting one,” Davies said.

“The lads will be looking forward to it because it’s a derby and everybody knows each other and these are the games you want to play.”

Elsewhere in the West Division, Shrivenham were 2-0 away winners at Abingdon United to remain in fourth position.

Goals from Levi Cox either side of half time secured the three points for Michael McNally’s team.

Purton recorded their third win of the season with a 3-1 home win over Letcombe whilst New College went down 7-1 to league leaders Hook Norton.

In the Premier Division, Wootton Bassett Town were comfortable 4-0 home winners over Oxford City Nomads.

Steve Robertson scored twice either side of half time, the latter with a lob over Christian Lawrence to put the hosts into a commanding position.

Nathan Hawkins added a third as he nodded in a Dan Bailey corner before Dale Roberts latched on to a Lewis Thompson pass to complete the scoring.

Meanwhile, Highworth Town squandered a 4-1 home lead against Thame as the Worthians had to settle for a point.

The hosts sprinted out the blocks as goals from Keiron Gleed, Ryan Stanners and Aysa Corrick had them 3-0 up shortly after the half hour mark but Linton Goss did grab one back before the half time whistle.

Ashley Edenborough headed home from an Aysa Corrick cross to restore the three-goal cushion before a fine hat-trick from Andy Gledhill rescued an unlikely point for the visitors.